learn⋅ed

–adjective
1.having much knowledge; scholarly; erudite: learned professors.
2.connected or involved with the pursuit of knowledge, esp. of a scholarly nature: a learned journal.
3.of or showing learning or knowledge; well-informed: learned in the ways of the world.
4.acquired by experience, study, etc.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Home is where the hope is.

I believe there is something inside of all human beings, an inherent desire, to be fulfilled. For me, often a large part of feeling fulfilled results from what I see as my performance. The problem is that for many, myself included, even in working to attain those things we desire, we are seldom satisfied. We seldom feel fulfilled. It would seem that the presence of this desire to be fulfilled points to the fact that there is a source of fulfillment somewhere. Yet as a Christian, I am learning that lasting fulfillment is not the result of my perfect performance but perfect surrender to the one God who is, in his very definition, fulfillment. I am learning to truly believe the verse that reminds us "the fullness of joy" may only be found IN God.

Christianity is unique in that it positions contentment, joy, and fulfillment not as qualities to strive for, but as gifts to be received if we find ourselves located in the right place, that is, located in God. We don't really have a right to get angry at God if we miss these gifts because we have removed ourselves from the proper place. Nor does it profit us to be angry at ourselves when we "miss our package" because we aren't home at the designated time. Rather, we need to make sure that we return and STAY in the place we need to be so that we can receive the gifts we're entitled to as children of the King, and joint-heirs with Christ.

These videos impacted me, because they all...though in admittedly cheesy ways... depict people "returning home" and in the process, finding that joy, hope, and fulfillment they've been struggling to find:

1) "Pass Me Not"- Fantasia singing...






This song gets me sometimes because it articulates the desperation we feel in finally coming to God. It's like we're saying "Ok God, I came. I'm here. Now I need you to remember your promise and hear me when I'm calling... and ultimately he Always does. Always.

2) "Father Can You Hear Me?" from Tyler Perry's "Diary of a Mad Black Woman"

Watch Video on Youtube: HERE

What I love about this scene (even though I've never seen the movie...shhhh...don't tell it) is that the song starts of with people questioning whether God really hears us, and ends in surrender. At the end of it all, "We will say YES"

3) "Now Behold the Lamb" from the movie " The Gospel"




No matter who we are, where we are, or what we've done, because God loves us with a greater and deeper love than any parent has ever exhibited for any child, anyone and everyone can choose to come back to the place of forgiveness and grace, of hope and joy and of fulfillment. His offer to return to the home he has provided within himself is available to all.


Honestly, I really can't even express with words how much it means that my happiness doesn't come from my ability to make myself smile. My strength doesn't come from my own wherewithal...if it did, as soon as i got tired or as soon as something went wrong, as soon as i failed, i would feel unhappy, depressed, upset, and weak. Thank God my fulfillment is not only his responsibility, but his promise. For as long as I have a God to come home to, I have fulfillment... this guarantee is my hope.


Deuces...IN Him

3 comments:

  1. Great videos! I get what your saying though.....
    (p.s. You never seen Diary of Mad Black woman?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yeah, I just watched it this morning...that scene is so much better now that I know what's happening...like when the mom walks in...kinda wanna watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The videos are quite moving as are your comments. Nothing like a "face-to-face...now-I-know-from-experience..." with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete